In honor of David Yate’s The Legend of Tarzan coming to theaters this weekend, my suggestion for your Thursday Throwback is…
Directed by: Chris Buck, Kevin Lima
Voices: Tony Goldwyn, Minnie Driver, Glenn Close, Rosie O’Donnell
Score: Phil Collins
Let’s be honest- this animation is going to be hard to beat. The Legend of Tarzan is giving me the vibe that it might be another supposed to be tent-pole movie about a legendary character, that doesn’t quite hit the mark. Either way, there are plenty of reasons to make our animated Tarzan your #TBT movie.
- This is the origin story. So watching it tonight will prepare you for this weekend (if you go to the movies) or it will just be a sweet time on your couch if you don’t.
- The sound track is amazing. Regardless of your feelings about Phil Collins as an adult, as a kid– you loved this soundtrack.
- Tarzan is a babe. I know he was on your list of unrealistic cartoon crushes.
- Jane is a badass. She explores the jungle. She was the only woman and she was okay with that.
- It has a great cast of anthropomorphic animals.
- It also had great easter eggs. Take a look at that tea set again!
- It gave you unrealistic expectations about living in the jungle and being able to swing from trees and slide through the jungle with out getting splinters.
All around, it was a pretty good movie. Thanks Disney! Also, this is a throwback you can watch with tiny humans, or by yourself alone with your cats at 24. No judgement here.
& Regardless of how well or not well The Legend of Tarzan goes, this guy will always be in our hearts.